Sunday, May 31, 2009

First few days in Russia

Well we have arrived in Russia and the weather has been quite nice since we got here. Jet lag is still a pending factor as I tend to wake up around 4AM in the morning.

Thursday (1st day in the city)
We arrived at 3AM in Perm and this was my first time going through customs in another country. It was very interesting for me. When the plane landed in the city we deboarded on some stairs and walked ten feet to a bus that all passengers boarded. The bus then drove another 40 feet to the building to go through passport control. We seriously could have walked there and have no idea why we got on a bus? But that is Russian culture for you. The airport was a complete hole in the wall. VERY SMALL! Wow, I was shocked. Maybe four benches that you could sit down at in the entire airport.

We walked outside and it was somewhat dark. We met a russian named Yura who is a missionary for Y-WAM here in the city and he through all of our bags into the back of a truck that looked like it was from the TV show MASH. Quite funny I'd say. On our way into the city we passed six or so car dealerships. I was surprised, if you would look at the city, you wouldn't expect to see that many, maybe one, but not six. We took a short nap and then went on a scavenger hunt in the city! OH THE STARES! You can definitly tell we are American. It is not the way we look, but the way that we dress. I'll explain more later. We went to one of the colleges here and some russian girls standing in front of a water fountain asked if I could 'you take photo' and I did. It was her birthday and she was wearing a dress out of 1985! That is the best way to describe the city. Go back 20 years and that best describes the way it looks around here. Run down I'd say.

There was a festival for the city here yesterday and we went to check it out. We all played some russian dance games there and when the band on stage started to play swing music we all ran out and started dancing. All the russians watched us. We sucked, but it was fun for our team. My russian is getting better and I'm starting to forget some english? Strange, but it is happening to us all. Our brains feel like mush.

Weird Culture things:
When entering a store you must put your bag you have with you in a locker or seal it in a plastic bag. There is a bag lady whose job is to seal your bag in a little bag.

This is the hardest thing for us American guys is not smiling. If you do it here, that means you like the girl you are looking at. It is hard for us, we feel like idiots because we don't know the language and it sends a mixed message. Russian men do not show any emotion on there face. We ave a saying around here on project, 'practice face control.' Well, I suck at it.

I have met two russian men here, Dami and Yura. I'm setting up appointments here soon to meet up with them. Pray that it all works out!

Pray for safety of the team
Pray for the breaking down of language barriers
Pray for unity on the team
Pray for Jesus to be seen through us all at all times!

1 comment:

  1. We're praying for you Ty. Never thought I'd tell you to not smile :).

    Love, K

    ReplyDelete